Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Evening discussion.

After coming home from the grocery store, Oliver and I sat down to a pre-dinner snack of cantaloupe. We sat across from each other at the table, eating our melon in silence, juice dripping down our chins.  Then Oliver says,

"Hi, Mom."
"Hi, Oliver."
"(Is the) cantaloupe good?"
"Yes."
"How was your day?"
"Good, Oliver. Thanks for asking."

And then we went back to eating in silence, the only noise between us the juicy squish of Oliver gnawing on huge chunks of fruit.

A few minutes later I replayed the conversatioon in my head and started laughing out loud. Really? My toddler just had that conversation with me? You're kidding, right? Squeaky voice and pronunciation aside, that is the exact same conversation I might have with a 30-something dinner guest.

Oliver saw me laughing for seemingly no reason and asked, "Mom? (Are you) Okay?"

Why yes, Oliver, I'm just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment