Friday, July 30, 2010

How could I just buy one cantaloupe, when they were buy one get one free?

People always ask me what I do with myself during the day. Since I have no job, they all assume I get bored. I don't. I do, however, spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning. And I'm okay with that. I'm pretty good at that.

Food is a big thing for me. Cooking food, eating food, feeding people food. When I don't make my own food, the orbit of the earth is knocked out from under me and I start to freak out. I generally do not like healthy food that restaurants make. I just don't. So 9 times out of 10, I don't even enjoy eating at a restaurant unless I order something that is bad for me.

Maybe I'm just a homebody or maybe I've been spoiled, but when it's just my family I'd rather eat in. I hate the feeling of paying for something I know I could make better at home, which is a large part of why I order foods I can't make myself. French fries! Mexican food! Onion rings! All things which require deep frying, something I won't even attempt to learn.

While we were moving from apartments, roadtripping, vacationing, hosting company... things got ugly. I had been doing well at losing weight, and then I started slipping. We ordered Chinese. We ate fast food. We used Sunday paper restaurant coupons. I gained back 12 pounds. No kidding you. 12 pounds.

That is a lot.

Since then, I've been back on track making my own food again and it feels good. I feel like I've accomplished something when I come home with a car full of groceries. In fact, I really really enjoy grocery shopping. I like clipping coupons. I like to compare labels. Today, my day was made for me because Cub Foods had our favorite pasta sauce on sale for $.89.  I spent a grand total of $99 today for the makings of 7 filling dinners plus formula and food for Oliver. If that doesn't give you a rush, what does?

Everything about the grocery store is a calming routine for me. I like rummaging through the sweet corn bins next to strangers. I like the old ladies who stop to smile at Oliver. I like grabbing gallons of milk out of the cold rooms and checking for the latest expiration date. I am a master grocery shopper when I need to be.

But anyway. Back to my main point. Once again, I've been putting the miles on the ol' steamer basket and once again I am losing weight. And it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment