Wednesday, January 25, 2012

And on the 87th day, he pottied.

Some people would tell me not to write this down because I'll jinx it, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Oliver is peeing on the potty. A lot. Yesterday he just suddenly seemed to "get" things and today has been great.

This breakthrough, even if temporary, couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was starting to feel like I was living in a crazy house. The amount of bodily fluids I was cleaning up in a day was astounding. The silly conversations I had about it, the strange dances I did for it... Things got weird.

I think he is even learning how to abuse the system. He has peed 7 times on the potty today and it's not even 1:00 yet. I think he has learned that he can pee just a tiny bit and then he gets a sticker, a potty dance, and an M&M.

But at this point, do I really care? No. I would much rather rinse out the potty chair than clean pee up off of the floor. Or the couch. Or my bed. Or his bed. Or the carpet.

So far, we are 15 potty catches in a row and I like to think of that as 15 pee accidents I didn't have to clean up.

I will leave you with Oliver's thoughts on potty training.

"Do you like going pee on the potty?"
"No. I like stickers. And M&Ms."
"Yeah, but you're such a big boy! Isn't that great!?"
"Big boys get M&Ms."
"Well.... ......yeah. But they also get to play with special toys and wear big boy underwear."
"M&M underwear?"
"...Ummm... Maybe. Probably more like Yo Gabba Gabba or Thomas the Tank underwear."
"I like M&Ms better."
"I guess I do too."

No comments:

Post a Comment