Thursday, January 5, 2012

Everything is temporary, unless we're dying. Then that's pretty permanent.

We got home from Florida late last night/morning. We didn't feel particularly great, but Oliver did well on the plane and our flights left on schedule. I considered it a success, despite how tired we all were.

As soon as we got home, Jared went to change Oliver and discovered a horrific diarrhea poop explosion that had spread down his legs and up his stomach. Jared shouted for me to go find more wipes, but I couldn't get the suitcase out of the trunk and/or locate them fast enough. When I returned, Oliver had gotten more poop on his hands and arms and was screaming hysterically.

Knowing a loss when we saw one, we ran the bath and tried to rinse Oliver off as he screamed some more.

The smell was horrific. It left me gagging even through a freshly-laundered beach towel. After we got him clean (enough) we put his jammies on and put him in bed.  At 3:30 AM. I went to turn off his light and noticed a brand new package of wipes right underneath his changing table, where they always are.

Jared was mad at me because I took so long finding wipes. I was mad at Jared because he didn't look and find the wipes where the back-ups usually sit. It wasn't a great first night back, but we made up quickly after seeing our stupidity and fell into bed exhausted.

This morning Jared woke up and thew up. He called in to work and went back to bed. I felt way better than he looked, so I went to the grocery store to pick up some soup and crackers for him. I didn't make it far before I ended up joining the pukers' club in the grocery store bathroom stall.

All day long Jared and I laid in bed, occasionally poking each other to make sure we were all still alive. Poor Oliver literally fended for himself today. I threw an odd bag of cereal or some granola bars at him throughout the day, but besides that he was on his own. I don't know how many Pop Tarts he pulled out of the pantry and ate by himself, and I didn't care. He turned on the TV for himself, played trains, took out all of his new Christmas toys and for the most part didn't complain.  That is about the only part of the day that went right.


My goal for this New Years was to remember that everything is temporary. And now all I have to say about that is that this better be a very short temporary or else I'll die of acid reflux and dehydration.

No comments:

Post a Comment